The Marquee

Election Over, Unexpected Victory for President-Elect Donald Trump

Rafael Mendoza, Staff Writer

From political pundits to late-night talk show hosts, our nation debated the Republican candidate Donald Trump’s success, versus Hillary Clinton of the Democratic party in the 2016 American presidential election. Michael Cohen of The Guardian, wrote on June 11 “Trump won’t win. In fact, the US could be on the brink of a liberal renaissance.” On June 21, Jon Wiener of The Nation claimed “Even before you get to his campaign’s incompetence and lackluster fundraising, the numbers just aren’t on his side.” Before we draw conclusions about why Trump was mainly doubted by media and casual citizens alike, we must first focus on the beginning of America’s 2016 presidential election.

People didn’t think Trump would have much success due to his lack of experience in American politics. He was considered a political butterfly because he verbally supported both Democratic and Republican candidates in different periods of his life. Trump projected himself as a real-estate mogul, but he left of trail of failed businesses contrary to his image. His public display of pomposity against people who criticized him regarded him as being unpresidential.  

Considering all the factors enumerated above, Trump won 279 to 228 in electoral votes. His message of restoring America’s greatness appealed to a silent majority that was not seen even in the pre-election polls. Being an outsider proved to be an advantage for him. Trump campaigned relentlessly throughout America, including states his opponent had underestimated. He was challenged with Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania, states known to hold a majority of democratic voters. Once he won the vote of these deep blue states, Trump’s position in the presidential election was almost certain, and it slimmed Clinton’s chances of recovering from her loss of such crucial states.

The 2016 American election ended with an arguably surprising outcome, with a president-elect whose success was constantly doubted. Popular opinion suggested that the two presidential nominees were the least popular candidates of all time. Therefore, winning this presidency might still cast a shadow of doubt upon the American people, because most believed they had to vote between the lesser of two evils. We have yet to see how Donald Trump’s policies could either strengthen America and lead us to a path of greatness, or push the country to regress further more into devastating foreign conflict.

Congratulations, president-elect Donald Trump, 45th president of the United States.

• Fall Sports

Mira Mesa vs Scripps Ranch Football Game (9/15/17)

• Election Over, Unexpected Victory for President-Elect Donald Trump

News

Mira Mesa High School Announces New Stadium

Features

Musical Theatre Gala 2016

• Features

Mira Mesa’s First “Tournament of Roast Pork”

News

January’s Meme: Saltbae

Local Eats

The Habit – Is It Really?

• Marauder Life

Fall Showcase

News

Alumni in Action: Jonathan Magno

News

Features

Musical Theatre Gala 2016

Mira Mesa News