Mira Mesa News

The Marquee

Alumni in Action: Jonathan Magno

Tristan Rayandayan, News Editor

Walking out the gates of Mira Mesa High School one last time, our alumni head off into stages in their lives in which they impact the world with their individuality and seek to find their true calling. In the pursuit of their dreams, many venture to places and positions far from the world of a high school student. Once in a great while, however, we see the familiar face of a fellow Marauder returning to the school where they blossomed. This is the case with alumni Jonathan Magno from the graduating class of 2012, who has come back as an assistant coach.

During his time as a student at MMHS, Magno was an avid athlete, participating in Cross Country and Track and Field for all four years. Upon graduating, he attended school at Miramar College and Mesa College, obtaining his Associate’s degree in Communications Studies. He now attends San Diego State University, working towards his Bachelor’s degree.

For Magno, the transition between high school and college was riddled with obstacles. Despite these discouraging hindrances, everything worked in the end for our fellow Marauder. Magno describes the rhythm of college life, relishing in the fact that class is far more flexible than high school due to the ability to construct one’s own daily schedule. Regarding class curriculum, he goes on to remark that habits picked up in high school assisted him greatly in the rigorous courses he has taken. After high school, however, there are no high school teachers pestering students daily for assignment completion.No one is keeping you accountable for and you have to keep accountable for your own work in college.”

Coming back to MMHS, Magno is now an assistant coach for the Cross Country and Track and Field teams. In this new position, there is a boundary that lies between him and the student-athletes, a boundary that requires the consistent authority that is expected of all instructors in an educational environment. Despite this, Magno has come to know our student athletes as individuals, allowing him to connect and work well with the Cross Country team. He observes that much change has occurred since the beginning of the athletic season. Substantial growth has been shown in the team with “dramatic changes going on not just from physical improvements, but emotional improvements,” due to many of our runners “getting in tune with their mentalities.” These are positive effects that Magno attributes to athletics as a whole, having participated in triathlons and volleyball during his time in college.

In his cumulative years as both a high school and college student, Magno has obtained a wide array of emotional, educational, and ethical experience that surely many of us will obtain in the years soon to come. When approached for any words towards our graduating Seniors, he addressed the student body as a whole, stating that everyone has their own individual path that must be followed. Despite discouragement or jealousy that we may encounter in our lives, Magno reminds us that “It’s your life and you make your decisions… Only you can shape up what your future could look like.”

Many of our current Marauders will go on to achieve wondrous things after high school. As new faces become old faces, many may feel a sense of loss in the fact that what is familiar seems to be slipping away. Whether we are student, teacher, or alumni, what we must remember is that Mira Mesa High School is the foundation upon which we build ourselves. The memories and bonds made here will stand the tests of time, keeping us anchored to our roots whether we are just down the street or a thousand miles away.

• Alumni in Action: Jonathan Magno

News

Mira Mesa High School Announces New Stadium

• Alumni in Action: Jonathan Magno

Features

Musical Theatre Gala 2016

• Features

Mira Mesa’s First “Tournament of Roast Pork”

• Alumni in Action: Jonathan Magno

News

January’s Meme: Saltbae

• Alumni in Action: Jonathan Magno

Local Eats

The Habit – Is It Really?

• Marauder Life

Fall Showcase

• Alumni in Action: Jonathan Magno

News

• Alumni in Action: Jonathan Magno

Features

Musical Theatre Gala 2016

• Alumni in Action: Jonathan Magno

News

Election Over, Unexpected Victory for President-Elect Donald Trump

• Features

Homecoming Highlights

Mira Mesa News
Alumni in Action: Jonathan Magno