Mira Mesa News

The Marquee

Mira Mesa High School Announces New Stadium

Unknown

Unknown

Brenda Vuong, Editor-in-Chief

The renovation of Mira Mesa’s football stadium has been long awaited. The school is one of the last in their district to upgrade their athletic facilities with Prop S and Z money, and the improvements extend beyond just the stadium.

The San Diego Unified School District began revamping their school stadiums in order to make all of them ADA (Americans with Disability Act) accessible and to improve overall safety for fans. If anyone has been in Mira Mesa’s stadium before, they might immediately notice the worn out wooden stairways. The wood is old and decaying from weather and general usage over the years. The new aluminum stands will have handrails to prevent fans from falling down and injuring themselves.

In the stadium, both the home side and visitor side bleachers will be replaced. Other advancements include a new state of the art score board, new lights, new concession stands, and a contemporary PA system which will be used for graduation so the school no longer has to rent a speaker arrangement that costs several thousands. Additionally, a modern sidewalk for pedestrians to get to the stadium from the north parking lot is being created for better accessibility. As for the football field and track, neither are being remodeled at all. According to Vice Principal and Athletic Director, Ron Lardizabal, the stadium and field will still be available to PE classes, athletic teams, and band practices during construction. He hopes that, “students will not be heavily impacted.”

The renovation will not only impact those in the school, but will also apply to alumni as a new entry way with pavers will be constructed. The pavers can be purchased by alumni to mark their time at MMHS. The school also plans to further improve other athletic facilities besides the stadium. The upper field area is receiving a new turf field between the baseball and softball ones. This field will be used by the field hockey, soccer, and lacrosse teams. For soccer teams, they may have to play their games on the road if the upper is not completed in time for their league games in January. The softball field will be gaining new dugouts, a new score keepers booth, and a new scoreboard. In the baseball field, a new PA system and scoreboard is being implemented as well.

This immense project may be completed in a shorter time than students and staff anticipate. Construction is scheduled to begin in November of 2016, after the annual MMHS Sapphire Sound Band tournament and football season. The upper field is expected to be completed by January 1st of 2017 and the stadium by mid-August of 2017. Overall, the project’s completion may be finalized in less than one year from November.

Mira Mesa High is not holding back with the renovation, and both the school and community in Mira Mesa are excited to see the new facilities. Some may disapprove of the remodeling of their beloved stadium, but regardless, this advancement is a big step for MMHS.

• Mira Mesa High School Announces New Stadium

Features

Musical Theatre Gala 2016

• Features

Mira Mesa’s First “Tournament of Roast Pork”

News

January’s Meme: Saltbae

Local Eats

The Habit – Is It Really?

• Marauder Life

Fall Showcase

News

Alumni in Action: Jonathan Magno

Features

Musical Theatre Gala 2016

News

Election Over, Unexpected Victory for President-Elect Donald Trump

• Features

Homecoming Highlights

• Marauder Life

Twitter Beef 2016

Mira Mesa News