Mira Mesa News

The Marquee

Twitter Beef 2016

Ellie Griffin, Staff Writer

Respect is to admire (someone or something) deeply, as a result of their abilities or qualities. Respect is something everyone should receive, no matter your age, race, gender, or even grade. That being said, all students should be treated with the same respect.

On May 3, 2016 Kenny T., the ASB President,  tweeted out “these freshmen next to the student store need to leave…” and later on went to say that “they cut in line & give attitude when we tell them to go to the back like we’re doing something wrong… ugh sorry they suck.” “Talk to us in person and maybe we can work something out let’s quit the tweets… ok?” responded 9th grader, Justin L. Calling out the entire freshmen class was very unnecessary; there are only a select few students who are freshmen that cut in line. This being said, Kenny DID have valid points. There are various students that continue to cut the line every day, and students who are very loud and obnoxious during lunch. The problem at hand is not all freshmen are immature and we need to stop them, but instead the problem is that there are multiple students who feel like they can cut in front of everyone and disrespect those around them.

There were two main issues with this situation. First, should a school elected official be able to say everything that’s on his mind? Secondly, if freshmen in question want respect, then why are they acting like stereotypical freshmen?

At what point does an elected official cease to be an individual and become the office they represent. In this case, when does Kenny Tran become Kenny Tran ASB President? For right or wrong in todays society, they represent the office. In this case Kenny’s Twitter account says “mmhs asb president 15-16.” He should be held to a higher standard than the average student tweeting because his comments could be easily misunderstood to include an entire class, rather than just a few individuals.

On the other hand, people should be able to respect others and cooperate with the rules. After interviewing some freshmen they agreed that this whole thing was avoidable, and those select few that did disrupt others at the Student Store do not represent who they are as a class. “It’s kinda disappointing how those people who did that truly act like the stereotypical freshmen, they need to just grow up and be more mature” said a ninth grader.

In reality, mistakes were made on both sides. Hopefully everyone involved can learn from the situation to avoid larger issues that might come up later in life. A few days after the incident, Kenny T. reached out to us and apologized if anything that happened offended the class of 2019. His response was:

Thank you for the opportunity to let me address the recent incident that occurred outside the student store which lead to my unfortunate comment concerning the freshmen class.

I do not now, or have I ever, devalued the Class of 2019.

​Working at the Student Store is not as easy as it looks. We have to deal with customers with little to no respect for others, people who “mess” with the people in line, and people who cut. It gets frustrating because it’s hard to stop and continues to happen on a daily basis.

​This particular incident involved a select small group that was making general disturbances in the line. I had tried to stop the situation from getting out of hand, but was unable to do so.   I was frustrated at with the individuals, and with myself for being unable to stop the situation and I mistakenly made a twitter comment out of sheer frustration.

Working the Student Store, I saw that there were kids who were going up to the front of the line giving other people money to buy things, cutting line, begging for money, and being an annoyance to the customers trying to wait in line. I was talking about it with others in the store and a student walked up to me and told me that the same group of freshmen outside the Student Store disrupt the line every day.

As ASB President, I feel that I have valued all people in all classes and they all have a right to be heard. Hearing that students in our store were having a problem with something, I needed to address it. Unfortunately, I addressed it the wrong way.  I apologize and know that I should have worded any tweets differently, I was just frustrated and wanted that one group to stop bothering the people in line.

The situation blew up and became a “MMHS VS 2019” fight, with people from different classes fighting with the freshmen class. This was never my intent. The few individuals in the Class of 2019 not following the rules, do not represent the class nor should their actions be a reflection of the entire class.​

What I said on Twitter does not represent my beliefs, nor who I am as a person.  I should not have let the situation frustrate me as it did, and I apologize for the comment and the misunderstanding it has caused.

I just wanted the cutting and the disturbance by the student store to stop and I did not mean to insult the whole class, because I really do love every class at this school and I honestly try my best to show it.

Thank you for allowing me to clarify my intent and to clear any misunderstandings.

—

Kenny Tran

ASB President

Mira Mesa High School

Mira Mesa News
Twitter Beef 2016